Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekend? What weekend?

I’ve decided that the definition of a weekend “at home” is one in which you drive less than 300 miles to do stuff and always come home at night. If I ever have a weekend "at home" where I actually get to stay AT HOME I won’t know what to do.

Early Saturday morning, Nix and I were off to the Scott County Kennel Club match (150 miles, round trip). He rocked the Open stays with no problem. I put him in with the Novice class for a second set of stays (I went out of sight) and he broke within 20 seconds. He was positioned between a very large GSD and a huge St. Bernard, which kind of confirms my “uncomfortable with big dogs” theory, even though the GSD is a total sweetheart and the St. Bernard was probably more scared of Phoenix than he was of her. I put him back and he was fine. That was a golden opportunity since that is the first time he has ever broken in a training situation where I could work him through it and reward in the ring for the right decision.

Saturday evening, the Farmer and I went to a wedding reception (30 miles, round trip). Good food, excellent cake and we were home early. Love it!

Sunday morning actually provided a few hours of “home time.” The house elf has been slacking off (I’m going to fire his arse if I ever find him) so I had to catch up with the cleaning and laundry. Then it was off to North Liberty to teach a couple of lessons and train with a friend (70 miles, round trip).

Home again, home again, a quick change of clothes and back to Marengo for a funeral visitation for a co-worker’s mom (30 miles, round trip). Saying good-bye to a parent is not easy but the feeling of relief that comes with knowing a loved one is no longer suffering goes a long way to making the grief easier to handle.

Finally, back home to supper, sweats, a recliner and a good book! Weekend mileage total, 280 miles and I never left eastern Iowa.

This week looks like a bit of a zoo: gone 3 nights with work and/or classes, leaving Friday morning for the Mound City trials and the only thing I have packed is the dogs’ food. Figures.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That's not quite a relaxing weekend. It's funny though how mileage is different when you're in dog activities. Under 100 miles is considered a blessing. I told someone at work where I was hoping to go to a dog show (about 120 miles away) and they asked what airline I'll be flying on.

    Good luck at the Mound City trials! I'm glad you had an opportunity to work with Phoenix's stays at the match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS ~ There must be some House Elf convention, because mine's been MIA for 2 weeks or so too.

    ReplyDelete