Saturday, October 23, 2010

A walk in the woods

Yesterday, Jamie and Phoenix and I hiked a local trail. We took the "red" route, 3.5 miles, that winds through native timber to a bluff overlooking the Iowa River. For all you forestry type people, the timber is called an oak savannah. 

It's my favorite trail even though it's had very little — make that zero — maintenance since it opened about 20 years ago so parts are kind of primitive. The dogs make sure I get up the steep hills okay. They also help me go down hills a little faster than is probably safe.

Jamie wore his doggie pack from Aunt Michele. He carried a couple bottles of water, a portable bowl and treats. He loves his pack and thinks he is all that when he wears it.

We frequently see deer and wild turkeys when we walk here but yesterday we made so much noise crunching through the dry leaves we probably scared away anything within five miles. 

It was a great way to spend a sunny autumn afternoon, the kind of day I want to bottle and save for February.

 

4 comments:

  1. Love the picture!! Make it the background on your desktop to look at during the winter!! Looks like a really fun trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool trail!

    I can totally imagine Jamie thinking highly of himself wearing that pack. Something along the lines of, he's responsible for the entire supply line for the whole expedition.

    It said that you posted something yesterday, but wouldn't let me access the post. I saw the picture of a weather radar, and I think the title was something like, "Is it too early" but the post wasn't clickable.

    Glad you enjoyed a nice Fall day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a fabulous fall walk yesterday too and I'm with you, want to bottle it and bring it out the end of January when the dogs are driving me up the batty wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that trail by the Amanas? We used to walk there all the time. We even saw a Pileated Woodpecker there one year. Great place for a hike - then you need to go to the Amana's for dinner.

    ReplyDelete