Thursday, October 21, 2010

To sit or not to sit

TURN AND SIT VS. SEND DIRECT

A reader asked why I decided to switch to “send direct” with Phoenix’s scent articles after initially teaching the “turn and sit.” Thanks for the post idea!

When I trained my first two UDs, sending directly to the articles was not an option. The rules dictated a turn and sit, followed by the send. Then the rules changed and sending direct became allowable. I sent Jamie directly because his sits never had “slam your butt into the ground” speed. It seemed counterproductive to do the turn and make him sit, only to ask him get right back up again and go briskly to the pile.

When I taught Phoenix to do articles, he was very mentally immature. That translated to slightly insane. He tended to fling himself all over the place and was easily distract — oh, look, a shiny object!

So at the time, it seemed to make sense to implement the turn and sit so he could regroup and focus before being sent to the article pile instead of just flying out into oblivion, having totally forgotten what we were doing. Looking back, I wish I would have just left the whole turn issue alone until we were closer to actually showing in Utility but oh well, live and learn.

Somewhere along the line, he grew up and got a brain. By now we’d been working the turn and sit for about 2 years, although I hadn’t made article work a very serious part of our training since I was focused on Novice and Open. Articles were practically a recreational activity since he learned them quickly and thought they were fun.

When I started matching him in Utility this spring, I really wasn’t happy with the turn and sit he was giving me. Technically, he was doing it okay but like Jamie, the turn-stop-sit-get up-go sequence seemed to be demotivating.

As I mentioned in an earlier post this week, this training and titling stuff is MY idea, not Phoenix’s and I feel I owe it to him to find the simplest and most intrinsically rewarding method of teaching/performing any exercise. I really try to not make things harder than they need to be! Thus, the change to the send direct.

Sure, I could have worked to rev up the turn and sit. It’s always a tough decision when you’re facing a training issue: train harder to make the current method work or try something different? This time, I decided to try something different.

Besides, since the turn and sit are a scoreable part of the exercise, you can start losing points for a crooked sit, slow sit, no sit, forged sit, etc. before the dog ever gets near the articles. It made sense to just eliminate one more element of difficulty. I am a firm believer in picking your battles! Deciding to do the sit initially was one of those “What was I thinking?” moments that so many of us trainers have so many of! I’m sure for some dogs and handlers, the turn and sit works very well. It’s purely an individual choice that depends on your dog’s strengths and weaknesses.

Of course, the send direct is not without its scoring hazards. The biggest one is the dog making a wide turn, followed by a huge arc to the pile, although some judges seem to score that harder than others, while other judges totally ignore any sins that might be committed before the dog gets to the pile. Like so many things in the obedience regs, scoring how the dog gets to the pile seems very open to interpretation.

Please feel free to comment on your experiences one way or another.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool post! I was wondering about the reasons some people choose one or the other.

    I like the idea of your last post in turning and sending Phoenix directly to a cookie so he gets the idea. I'm going to start doing that with Layla. I've been working on baby steps of things to (hopefully) make it easier if/when I ever get to an advanced level. For example, the retrieving. I can imagine how long it takes to train a retrieve to a stubborn dog who doesn't want to do it, so hopefully it'll make it a little bit easier for us.

    As for the turning wide to the pile (that was really the only negative I heard about the send direct), are there ways to sharpen the turns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the direct send with my border collies to avoid the points off for the sit transgressions. Also it set apart in her mind the directed retrieve (turn & sit) from the articles. As for going wide on the send, if you have a tight pivot turn they don't tend to go real wide and then I use a baby gate to block them from going wide while learning it and fade it as they get the muscle memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know someone who has a toy dog that uses a cat play tunnel to keep her dog tight on the turn. The dog turns and runs through the tunnel
    to get the article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always trained a direct send, eliminates the failure to sit and failure to get up again option. Of course I have yet to actually put a UD on a dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I had to switch from a flying send to a turn/sit as Vox was thinking gloves as we turned to the pile and I was getting a sit. And I switched mid-UD! LOL, apparently life was going along too easily at the time. I've had good luck using a barrier on a flying send to tighten the arc and create better muscle memory.

    ReplyDelete