Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Stone soup

First, a bit of deer follow-up. Yes, I feed my dogs raw and I would have LOVED to strap that bad boy on my luggage rack and haul his sorry carcass home. Might have made it all worth while. Although no deer is worth $3,000, having about 100 lbs. of meat would have offset my deductible nicely.

But alas, it was a hit and run. It was pitch dark and the deer vanished after I whacked him. I don't know if he bounced back into the north ditch or if momentum carried him on across the road. It was, as they say, a dark and stormy night. I wasn't exactly in a position to go looking for him. Next time, I hit a deer, I'll do it in broad daylight so I can track him down.

On a tastier note, I made the First Official Pot Of Soup of Autumn yesterday. I'd ground some chicken for the dogs over the weekend and in the process of reorganizing the freezer, found a bunch of soup fixins just waiting to be fixed.

I don't have a specific soup recipe. I just throw stuff in the crockpot.

First, some beef stock from a roast.
It came complete with little bits of potato.


Veggies du jour.


Taters. Lots of taters.
Taters are a food group by themselves.
And I'm too lazy to peel them.


A little chopped up leftover beef roast.
A little chopped up leftover pork roast.
The pork roast was actually supposed to be training treats.
Sorry Phoenix.
Will you forgive me?


The spice of life.
I never cook with fresh onions.
Fresh onions are evil.
Dried onions are my friend.


I love my crockpot.
I seriously love my crockpot.
I might starve to death without it.


Oh yum.
Gimme a spoon and the bread and butter.
Then leave me alone.
I tend to food guard.

3 comments:

  1. Is it still soup if you make it with just the meat and taters???? Cause it sure looks good... uh... except for all those veggies!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my crock pot too. Have any favorite recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts exactly Marsha. Plus I was wondering how long it took to cut everything up so neat and even. Looks a little Michelish to me. Hope Phoenix and Jamie got a little bit of bread with a little broth since you didn't bring home a deer for them.

    ReplyDelete