Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Phoenix's social calendar

Phoenix has a very busy social calendar for the next few weeks. In addition to two big obedience trial weekends, finishing up a heeling class, doing a mid-week fun match and helping me teach a Utility class, he is taking part in an obedience and agility demo at a nearby correctional facility and now he’s been asked to give a program for the local noon Kiwanis Club. Okay, so I’m the one giving the program but do you really think anyone is going to be paying attention to me if Phoenix is in the same room?

I gave a program on dog obedience to the Kiwanis about 10 years ago. Either they liked it well enough to ask me back or they couldn’t find anyone else willing to give the program that day.

The fellow who asked me if I would give the program just asked me to speak about “that dog training you do.” Well, that narrows it right down. I only have 30 minutes, which is either a blessing or a curse.

The program is in a meeting room at the rec center so I won’t have tons of space to demo things. The rec center folks would probably freak if I asked to work Phoenix on their fancy gymnasium floor. To tell the truth, I’m not even sure they know I’ll be walking in with a dog that day. I should probably go check the place out ahead of time. The fewer surprises, the better for all involved.

I don’t want to bore the people to tears or get too technical. The program is after a meal, which I figure doubles the chances of my audience falling asleep so maybe I’m over-worrying the whole thing. I’ve sketched a brief outline covering basic equipment, explaining attention training (THAT’S got to be new concept to non-dog people) and walking them through the steps of training an exercise from initially luring the behavior to finally proofing it. I figure with time for questions, that should fill 30 minutes.

Help me out here. If you knew NOTHING about dog obedience training and this was your first introduction to the sport, what would you want to know?

5 comments:

  1. How do I stop my dog from barking, jumping up on people, and pulling my arm off when we walk?

    I think those are the three most frequent questions I hear from pet owners :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Phoenix is a busy boy! Layla has a busier social calendar than I do. Most of my "social" obligations are really dog training.

    I WISH we had a heeling class. That sounds like so much fun and so helpful. I haven't been to obedience class in a few months (money problems, shoulder problems, etc) but we didn't spend a whole lot of time heeling.

    The demo at the correctional facility sounds like a lot of fun! It sounds rude, but I don't mean it to be rude, but a lot of the gang people and ghetto people (basically, the stereotypical correctional facility type) get the most impressed and excited when the dogs do things. I took Layla up to Pat's mom's house (she lives in a bad city, but in a better part of the city) and this guy, obviously a gang member stopped to pet her and she offered him her paw. He was amazed as if she just coughed up parole for him, and whipped out his cell phone to call "Smiley" to tell him all about it. They're going to be a very fun crowd to give a demo to!

    As far as the Kiwanis club, good luck! I don't know much about them other than that they're involved with volunteer work. 30 minutes sounds long, but you look like you have enough topics to fill the time. And, it's interesting stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably would like to know about collars and leashes since there are so many different kinds. Which would you recommend for obedience. Most people think a dog should do something because you told them to. They should just come because I called them. I would like to know how you teach them to sit, stay and lie down. stuff like that. Have fun! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, our demos to kids all seem to boil down what tricks can the dogs do and can we pet them. For adults as others have said, the big impulse control issues...stays, loose lead walks and recalls are the Holy Three.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would want to know how to get started and what options are available as far as competition and how you get involved in that. And maybe what other options are out there once I've finished the basic classes-like pet therapy, other dog sports, etc.

    ReplyDelete