Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dogs, cats, cheese & go-outs

I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about go-outs lately. I mean, really, doesn’t everyone?

This is the result of realizing Phoenix’s go-outs are not quite as solid as I thought they were and need some tweaking if I realistically expect to show him in Utility in the fall. Glad I figured this out now, in my own back yard, not after dumping a lot of money into entry fees and discovering my baby dog is clueless.

That got me to thinking about how I’d taught my previous dogs to do go-outs and that trip down memory lane inevitably brought me to these pictures that still make me laugh after all these years.

Connor was my first OTCh. Hard to believe he’ll be gone a whole year in August. Sigh. But anyway, when I was working to finish his OTCh. in 1999, one of our farm kitties was, well, very interested in obedience training. I guess that’s a polite way of saying that cat was a pain in the arse! Whenever we went out to train in the back yard, he came running. Every single time. He was right in the middle of everything. He wouldn’t go away. So I gave up and let him participate.

He helped with articles. Remember Diane Bauman’s controversial "Beyond Basic Training" book cover photo of a dog working articles with little turtles in the pile? We don’t need no stinkin’ turtles. We got us a cat!


He helped proof jumps. Would your dog take a jump if there was a cat sitting on it? (I’m pretty sure I know SOMEONE who wouldn’t. Unfortunately, I’ve not been able to find a cat who wants to be within 100 yards of him, let alone sitting on a jump.)

For the life of me, I can't remember this cat's name. He was either very brave or very stupid. But he sure was cute.

Not only did I train Connor to do go outs to cheese on the stanchion, I also trained the cat to do it. Getting the turn and sit was a little bit harder but he had a great GO!

It’s little wonder Connor’s go-outs were brilliant. If he could do them with a cat chasing him out to the cheese, they must have been ridiculously simple to do in a cat-less show ring.

I’ll write more about go-outs, sans cats, in the future.

Today I'm thankful for scrapbooks and happy memories.

7 comments:

  1. I forgot all about the obedience cat!! Probably not something you'll want to attempt right now unless the kitty has a little metal suit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd lone you a chicken......but....i'm thinking it might fit better under the raw post!!! G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures, but was hoping for a revelation on how to get perfect go outs without a cat. Although, come to think if it, I could try the cat method....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our cat always gets in the way during training. He takes food off the targets and off the track. He gets on all the agility equipment too. Plus he gets in the bag of treats if you leave them laying out

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely great! I too would like real go out help without the cat, but the pictures are really fun.

    ReplyDelete