Friday, December 11, 2009

Love the old pics

Dad's funeral is Monday. The Farmer and I are going down to Mom's tomorrow, driving home tomorrow night, then going back again Sunday for the visitation and staying over night for the funeral on Monday.

We decided to get a motel room instead of staying at Mom's house. There's room but . . . sometimes you need a little breathing space from family. So I called the local motel and asked if they took dogs. The clerk said yes and wanted to know what kind of dog. I told him a Belgian shepherd. There was a long silence. I could tell he was trying to decide if he wanted to know how big one was and what the potential was for it eating the room. But he didn't ask any more questions. Ignorance is bliss.

I got to looking at some family pictures one of Dad's sisters put together for a family reunion a couple of years ago and thought I'd share a few. 

Dad served in the Army during the Korean War. He got shot and honorably discharged. He never talked about the war. 


Dad went to a country school in Iowa. This pic was taken in 1938. He would have been about 10. Some days my hair looks just like that.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow if I have time. I'm trying to get things packed. The dogs' things are all ready to go. It's always easy to pack for them. I'm having a little more trouble putting together good clothes for me. It's easier to pack for an agility weekend. Mom would probably get a little excited if I showed up for the funeral in jeans and my Team Orange sweatshirt.

3 comments:

  1. Those are so AWESOME!!! I think I've seen your hair look like BOTH of those cuts! Minus the hat, uniform and bib overalls of course! How cute was he when he was little! You should have just told them you had a GSD and been done with it! G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures. Especially the military picture - you hardly EVER see the soldiers smile in their pictures, but he has a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was such a cutie! I love old shots like this.

    ReplyDelete