Sunday, December 6, 2009

ICDOC weekend

This weekend was my club, the Iowa City Dog Obedience Club's annual agility trial at the Iowa Equestrian Center, Cedar Rapids. For the first time in the last three or four years, we got through the entire weekend without snow, freezing rain, snow, high winds, blizzard conditions, well, you get the idea. 

I am exhausted, my feet hurt, my back aches and you don't even want to know what three 10-hour days in a dusty horse arena has done to my respiratory system. I probably have dirt in my bloodstream at this point.

But I am ecstatic! Phoenix earned his first two MXJ legs with second and fourth places and had some lovely Standard runs that proved we CAN run as team in the Standard ring in spite of frequent evidence to the contrary. Granted, deliberately sending one's dog over the off-course jump leaves a bit to be desired in the handling department but well, everyone deserves to be an idiot now and then. I'll try not to make a habit of it.

Phoenix's down contact on the dog walk has apparently disappeared (Should I stop now? Now? Maybe now?), so that needs some repair. He's still making some pretty wide turns, the auto drop on the table seems to come and go and weaves could always be faster but I'm really proud of my skinny little dog and totally happy with how we ran this weekend. As usual, I had to learn a few things the hard way.

Got home shortly after dark, unloaded the van, started the first of many loads of laundry (how could things be so clean Friday morning and so filthy by Sunday night? I swear, after Christmas, I'm going shopping for a dirt colored winter coat!) and am now headed for a nice long, hot shower.

Today, I am thankful to be part of a club that works well as a team and knows the value of laughter and friendship.






No comments:

Post a Comment