Tuesday, November 23, 2010

That sound

When I let the dogs out yesterday morning, Jamie must have spent the entire time eating grass because he came in the house, went directly to the living room (carpeted) and barfed up about a half bale of grass.

Sigh. Could he not barf on the vinyl floor in the kitchen?

No. It has to be on the carpet.

But he apparently felt a lot better for his efforts and was all waggy tail and squinty eyes so I forgave him his sins and gave him his breakfast.

Later, while washing dishes, I heard the dreaded sound. You know the one. It is the pre-barfing sound, that horrible retching noise that you know spells doom. It can wake you from a dead sleep at night and send you sprinting through the house in what is usually a futile attempt to MAKE IT STOP. The sound can make you drop whatever you are doing immediately.

The sound makes you start yelling "Noooooooooo!" like that is actually going to make it stop. Once the launch sequence has been initiated, there is no turning back. The best you can hope for is to be able to shove the offending party A) off the carpet and onto the vinyl or B) out the door in time.

I have given up trying to get dogs out of the house in time. That pretty much ended the day I went to yank open the dining room door and the door knob came off in my hand. I stood there and stared in alternating horror at the beautiful turn-of-the-century cut glass door knob that was no longer attached to the door and Connor, who was heaving his guts out all over the dining room carpet.

With the shelties, I was occasionally able to scoop them up and race out of the house. With Jamie at 60 lbs. and Phoenix at 53 lbs., that isn't going to happen. Plus, Phoenix never throws up. Never. He turns 4 next month and I think I've seen that dog barf once in his life. But I digress.

Back to Jamie. He had barfed up some more grass (good grief, I didn't know we had that much grass left in the yard!) and part of his breakfast. He appeared quite happy about the situation. He trotted off, had a drink and started chasing Phoenix around the house.

I cleaned things up. It was on the carpet. Again. Of course.

A little later, I was puttering around when . . . again . . . I heard the sound.

Oh for the love of doG! Noooooooo!

I ran into the dining room. No Jamie.

I ran into the living room. No Jamie.

I checked the bedroom. No Jamie.

WTF?

I followed the sound back to the living room.

Jamie was behind the entertainment center. I have NO FREAKING IDEA how he got back there, but there he was, apparently barfing up his toenails.

Do you know what is behind our entertainment center?

A lot of electrical cords.

A furnace vent.

Carpet.

They were now all covered in dog vomit. Massive amounts of it. How could this much stuff come out of one dog? His one cup of breakfast kibble and hard boiled egg had morphed into about half a gallon of of slimy, gelatinous gunk.

It was dripping into the furnace vent.

I said a lot of very bad words.

Jamie looked repentant. He wagged his tail.

I put him outdoors.

I moved the entertainment center, which thank heaven is on wheels.

I got a pair of pliers and pulled the furnace vent out of the floor, took it to the shower and washed it off. Then I cleaned dog barf out of the furnace duct. In an entire lifetime spent with dogs, I have never cleaned dog barf out of a furnace duct. I am not sure this is something I would list on a resumé.

I cleaned off all the power cords and scrubbed the carpet. By the way, I recommend Resolve spray carpet cleaner.

Occasionally I checked out the window to see what Jamie was doing. Apparently he felt fine. He was dancing from paw to paw on the patio, staring at the back door in hopes of coming back in.

That was 24 hours ago. No more barfing has ensued. Jamie had a small meal of hamburger and rice last night and another this morning. I have not seen either one reappear. It is a very good day.

12 comments:

  1. Yep been there. Hearing that noise and trying to get them outside. Only for them to run away from me , I guess becuase of the panic in my voice. To vomit on the carpet. LOL Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewwww...well hang tight, they won't find grass for much longer (I almost guarantee it). I gave up on carpet at my house but it still sucks to have to clean up lots o barf! Hope Jamie is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heeheee. Living with dogs teaches one tons of new skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I feel bad getting a chuckle from your sad tale of woe (been there, done that (sans furnace duct!)) a possible tip: Try grabbing something expendable and/or washable and shoving it under their faces.

    If you're lucky they'll hit that instead. I've used magazines, newspapers, paper bags (flat), plastic tub lids, towels,...

    (Good grief, do my dogs really throw up THAT much???)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ughhh!! I hate that noise. I know what you mean about it waking you out of a deep sleep though. I've also given up on moving the dogs outside. I can't lift either one of them, and if you try to shove them, they dig in and won't move. But, behind the entertainment center is a new one!! That's impressive on Jamie's behalf, but so horrible for the dog owner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of a New Year's eve story of mine. I was fostering yet another border collie, an activity that my husband really did not support. We were at a party and my husband realized he was coming down with the flu. I dropped him off at home and then return to the party. When he went inside the house he found that the foster dog had had projectile diarrhea. The diarrhea was covering the dog, the inside of the plastic crate, the walls of our family room and the carpet for about 3 feet around the crate. I got a call from him to come home immediately and clean up the **** **** mess the foster dog had made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ACK!! The heat duct AND electrical cords?! Goodness so much fun! My dogs always barf on the carpet and their most favorite place is my bedspread...yeah that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my dawg, that is the funniest post I read in a while. (sorry...i know it probably wasn't funny when you were up to your elbows in barf)...
    but ya, that deep retching sound CAN wake you up from a dead sleep, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am absolutely serious. I was sitting here reading the post and heard the noise. Coach is the vomit king. He barfs often. The only consolation is that it is usually low volume. He often runs outside if he has to barf, but apparently this time he didn't think he could make it. Oh well - as these things go - not much mess and I shoved him onto the linoleum in time. The whole heat vent etc is way too gross for me! Hopefully all is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor buddy. Give him a treat from Auntie Rilda (or maybe wait a day or so). Hope it's a better day. Sophie would sometimes get sick but always ran to a particular throw rug - always. Made clean-up a snap. Sorry about the vents. Bad words are becoming a habit for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, nothing like being awakened from a sound sleep to hear that hurka hurka sound. What a mess. Hopefully that is the end of it for now.

    Dexter gets ANIMAL over his own barf and guards it like it is a prized side of beef. I have to drag him outside just to effect cleanup.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hilarious, but have been there too. Well not in the heating duct but still feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete