Monday, November 8, 2010

Blue Monday

This week has not gotten off to a spectacular start. This morning I found out a good friend just lost her job. She got downsized. Another good friend is going to lose her job in a matter of months. Her corporate division is being eliminated.

Then the Mother Ship arrived at our office and laid another round of layoffs on us. Just like that. Out of the blue. Wham. Bam. Good-bye.

Not me, thank doG. I’m still here. I’m doing so many different people’s jobs these days I don’t even know what my "job” is any more. I just keep doing whatever I have to. Smiling when they double my workload at the same pay scale. Being flexible. Being patient. Being very glad I have a paycheck and benefits. Being very glad I’m already taking high blood pressure medicine (it controls the irregular heartbeat) because if I wasn’t, my head might have blown right off my shoulders today.

Would someone please tell the alleged “economic recovery” to hurry up and get here to the Midwest. Cuz we’re not seein’ it.

Here are 10 things I’m very thankful for right now at this very minute because I'm tired of thinking unhappy thoughts.

1) I have a job.

2) I am healthy, more or less (better living through chemistry).

3) I have two wonderful dogs.

4) I have a wonderful husband (should I have mentioned him before the dogs?)

5) I got C3PO back from the body shop today. She's very shiny and buff. (Jeff H., no, I didn't get the James Bond/Rambo front end package with 50 caliber machine guns mounted behind the grill. But it's a lovely thought.)

6) I finally got those bulbs planted before the ground froze.

7) I made the most awesome chicken and noodles last night.

8) My kennel club has rented a great building for winter training and I can't wait to train there with friends.

9) I have 74 hours of vacation to use before the end of the year and come hell or high water, I’m going to use them. (Seriously, after today’s layoffs and staff “reorganizing,” the Powers That Be told to use our vacation so we don’t “burn out.” Um. Yeah. Good luck with that. But I’ll give it the ol’ college try.)

10) It’s 7 p.m. and our publisher just carried in five pizzas and assorted pop. For the workforce we’ve got left at this point, that’s about 1/2 pizza per person.

Life is good.

3 comments:

  1. When the recovery hits your part of The Midwest, can you please send it East to PA?

    Sorry CFG has struck again and taken your friends as victims -

    Sadly, I'm smiling - or is that smirking - of how they just keep giving more and more and more to do with less and less time to do it -

    GRRRRRRRR -

    But your Ten List is a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good top ten list.... I have started to appreciate my job more and more every day... even when it sucks.

    Can't wait for class to start!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good ten list. It's so nice that you're able to look past all the crap to the positives - ten of them, in fact! I am sorry to hear about your friends though. The economic problems aren't getting any better. When you're 25 and are seriously considering bankruptcy, and it isn't because you've been an idiot with money, you know there's a problem.

    That's the one bright side of me having to float around the district. I was in the same predicament as you - having to do 50 billion other additional jobs with no extra pay, bonuses, incentives, nothing.

    Also, because I had to apply for a Leave of Absence after the fact (due to not expecting to have to be out any longer), I still have 15 vacation days, which equal 120 hours. They're out of their mind if they think I'm going to just pretend they're not there. I'm going to insist (or demand, depending) that they either give me the days or pay me cash for them.

    Maybe for the 2011 logo, you can get some brown and tan markers and color in the Malamutes? Outsiders can't tell what a Malamute or a Malinois is anyway.

    ReplyDelete