Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekend wrap-up

Spent the weekend at the Bridget Carlsen seminar at 4RK9s in Cedar Rapids. Her energy and enthusiasm are contagious! Had a great time and learned lots of things I can use with Phoenix. It would be silly to totally throw the way I trained before out the window and start over every time I attend a seminar (they all make it look so easy, dang it!) but no matter whether the seminar is a five star affair or leaves you shaking your head, you can always find a few new ideas to incorporate into the way you train. 

Here are a few highlights (I don't have the time or ambition to critique the whole seminar. I just hope I can read and make sense of my notes as I start to implement the new ideas!)

Bridget's system of jackpot training went beyond the generic "Give your dog a whole bunch of cookies instead of just one." I've not not done any jackpot training with Phoenix (I did a great deal of it with Jamie, although not quite the same way she presented it) so that is one new thing I want to try. 

She also does a lot with teaching cue words to rev up the dog in anticipation of a reward (immediate or delayed) or to indicate what exercise is coming next. All I could think of was dear, sweet Kay Lowe telling her dogs "Now we're going to do glovies" or "Let's do heeling" years and years ago. Kay was ahead of her time.

Phoenix is exhausted and so am I. We've got a busy week coming up. Five days until our Open debut!

Today I am very thankful for the opportunity to learn. Now it's up to me to make some changes!


2 comments:

  1. ive signed up for one in october, i can't wait! did you have a working spot? i opted not to have one because i wanted to be able to write everything down and really observe how things work.

    i am however, going to try to get a working spot in the terri arnold seminar. i can never make it up to her camps and she's coming down here - both my dogs are a little beyond basic attention, but i figure any seminar with her is worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without giving huge about the seminar away, I'd love to hear her basic theory on jackpotting. I'd like to get a better method.

    ReplyDelete