Thursday, March 11, 2010

Let the thunder roll

Had the first thunderstorm of the season last night. It wasn’t severe or even strong, just a good old garden variety t-storm that confirms spring IS coming even though there’s still snow on the ground. It was almost pleasant to have precip falling as liquid, not snow flakes or ice. I was driving home from teaching my Wednesday night class as the storm broke over the area. Lots of lightning which was pretty spectacular at night.

Jamie was not impressed. He does not approve of thunderstorms and it’s only getting worse as the years progress. Poor guy. I know his hearing is decreasing and hoped storms would not be as traumatic this year if he couldn’t hear them but apparently that’s not the case.

This was only a level 1 or 2 storm, as gauged on the Belgian Storm Meter: minor panting and sticking to me like Velcro but no panicked leaping onto the bed and burrowing between me and the Farmer, trembling so hard the bed rattles.

Phoenix could give a rip. He is totally oblivious to thunder and lightning. When things really start to rock and roll with the bigger summer storms, Nix thinks it’s GREAT that Jamie gets to sleep on the bed and sees no reason why he shouldn’t join him. After all, life’s a party!

I’m debating taking the National Weather Service’s storm spotter training again this spring. I took it last year and the spring and summer severe weather season was practically non-existent in this area.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... there was a storm last night? I kinda remember hearing something (wondering if it was a big truck) then went back to sleep (I would NOT be a good weather spotter - I tend to sleep through ANYTHING)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! You must be DEAF!!! You are in the same state?? RIGHT! G Kind of fun! Love the noises! Not real good sleeping noises however, it was LOUD!! Maybe it's because I'm use to hearing snow flakes. G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oreo was afraid of thunder too. But it did get better as he started to lose his hearing

    ReplyDelete