Monday, March 15, 2010

Fast, faster, fastest

I am not a naturally gifted athlete. Gee, I realize that’s such a surprise to everyone who knows me.

Having said that, running agility is about as much of a “sport” as I have ever played. I figure it’s a good run if I come off the course still vertical, without having done a face plant or butt plant or crashed into a jump or tripped over the chute or fell down just because I could.

With my previous dogs, there wasn’t much emphasis on speed. Connor and Jamie and I loped around the course at a mellow gait and got things done. I was totally winded by the end of it, regardless of how fast we went.

Then Phoenix arrived and the little issue of actually running surfaced. Phoenix ran. I ran. He ran faster. I was lightheaded and thinking I might pass out. I went to the doctor and said, “Why can’t I breathe?” She said, “You have asthma” and gave me a prescription for an inhaler. Ahhhhh. Better living through chemistry. Life was good.

When we’re on the course at a trial, I feel like I’m giving it my all: feet pounding, arms churning, muscles burning, sweat pouring, driving forward with as much speed as is humanly possible. I am a world class sprinter! I am speed incarnate! I hear “Chariots Of Fire” music in my head.

Then I watch the video. There I am, trotting along like I’m in an Easter parade. It’s like someone taped us in slow motion. This can’t possibly be right! But it is. My “fast” is not. It’s faster than I ran with Connor and Jamie (good heavens, I must have been WALKING with them) but it’s not nearly as fast in reality as it feels like at the time.

A friend and I were discussing this phenomenon over the weekend. It happens to her when she runs her dogs, too. She said her brother likes to shout encouragement to runners at family softball games to help them run faster. It goes something like this: “Unhook the plow and RUN!”

I love it. It is my new mantra.

Today, I am thankful for friends to laugh with.

8 comments:

  1. Yea I think something is wrong with my video camera too. LoL Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I love it! That will be the motto for the weekend! Do you think all of our video cameras are defective? I REALLY think I run MUCH faster than what gets taped...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There I am, trotting along like I’m in an Easter parade."

    That totally made my day. That's better than, "When is Easter, this Friday or next?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, why would you unhook the plow and run....when all you'd have to do is go back and pick it up later?? MEN!! They obviously DON'T think of these things. Not to worry, we'll do a few wind sprints this weekend to get you ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post has me laughing out loud! I can so totally relate. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And let me just add. Why is it when my hubby is filming my run with my fast GSD he manages to get 3 secs of my dog's asshairs as he zooms past, and 50 horrifying secs of my butt lumbering behind????

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was only me. Guess not. Someday I'm going to figure out how to doctor those films so I look really fast. Gee- maybe I can also look young and skinny? Guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right there with you. In videos of my runs I appear to be trotting gently along, though I feel like I'm really moving.

    In high school (many, many years ago), the track coach wouldn't let up on getting me to try out for track. I have long legs and apparently I looked fast.

    Then one day the track coach came to girl's basketball practice. He watched me "run" up and down the court. After that day he never spoke to me again.

    My running hasn't gotten any better with age ;)

    ReplyDelete