Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Refrigerator update

I am very happy to report our new refrigerator has been delivered and set up without crisis. I really should have a picture of it to go with this post but that would require thinking ahead and quite frankly, I don’t see that happening this week.

The appliance store guys hauled the old one away first. Holy buckets, you should have seen the furballs flying around when they pulled it away from the wall. There was a whole pack of pomeranians living back there. They didn’t say anything. The guys, not the furballs. I suppose they’ve seen worse. Which scares me. They laughed at the big metal nut we were using to level the old fridge on one side.

I grabbed the Dyson and vac’d up the furballs quick. Then they brought in the new fridge. They took the doors off it first. This allowed them to bring the cabinet in with a whopping 1/2 inch of space to spare on either side. If we ever need to replace appliances in the future, I think we’re going to have to build a new house first. Everything keeps getting bigger.

I asked them if they’ve ever delivered an appliance and it wouldn’t fit. Got the big eye roll. Guess it happens more often than you’d think. Sure glad it didn’t happen at our house! Tim said if it’s a really tight fit and if it’s okay with the homeowner, they grease things up with Vaseline and shove it into place. Yikes! He said sometimes people measure for width but not height and buy refrigerators that won’t fit under the kitchen cabinets. Boy, we were sounding smarter every minute.

Then they tried to level the fridge. Good luck with that. Our kitchen floor is not level. Actually it’s about three different levels. Which explains the floor jacks in the basement. Oh, isn’t it fun to live in a 100-year-old house? They quit laughing at the nut. I think they might have wanted it back.

When they left, I took everything out of the big coolers and put it in the new fridge. Wow. I need to buy groceries. This thing has a lot of room. The coolest thing is that everything is clear. You can see into all the compartments - no more food hiding for weeks and weeks, only to be green and furry once it’s rediscovered.

Of course, this also means I can’t hide my secret chocolate stash in there any more.

Today, I am thankful for no longer waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of grinding rocks, then realizing it’s just the old fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, mine sounds like grinding rocks too! I think it's the ice maker, but I'm never sure.

    I like your idea of teaching her specific item names. Now I have a project for my 6 weeks! I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete