Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I love this time of year (not the double digits below zero windchill part so much) because it represents a fresh start. I love hanging up a new calendar and filling in all the weekends with promises of trials, matches, seminars and training get-togethers with friends. I'm already looking forward to a Bridget Carlson seminar in March and my first American Belgian Malinois Club nationals in May. Who knows what else the year will bring.

Phoenix and I kicked off 2010 with a morning obedience session w/Michele, Kate, Jen, Paula and Tracy and all their fur-kids. When I count my blessings, I count my dog friends twice. 

I learned a long time ago that making resolutions doesn't work for me. Resolutions seem so black and white. Either you're doing them or you're not. And if you're not, you've failed and who wants to feel like a failure? So forget the resolutions.

I'll stick with setting goals for the new year. Goals are friendlier. They have wiggle room. They're flexible. Goals give you something to work toward and while you're doing that, you can look back over the months and see progress and think, "YES! We rock!"

I have what I call independent goals. What I mean is, my goals don't rely on someone else's evaluation or judgement to become reality. For example: I won't set a goal of earning a 200 with Phoenix because a perfect 200 score is a judge's opinion (and those opinions are frequently very subjective) and I have no control over that. 

However, I will make a goal of training for animation and precision and someday, if the planets align, maybe a judge will look at our performance and find it perfect. Even if that never happens, I'll still have reached my own goal of a happy, driven, focussed, confident dog in the ring and who could ask for more than that?

Having said all that, here are a few goals for me and Phoenix:

1) Be ring ready for Open by March. 

2) Teach more tricks. Because they make me laugh. I think they make Phoenix laugh, too.

3) Challenge myself as a trainer to become more creative and motivational. (Don't bore the malinois. Or else.)

4) Show in Graduate Open.

5) Be ring ready for Utility by fall.

6) Continue to improve my timing and cues in agility and always run like there's a million dollars on the line.

7) Continue to polish joyful, confident teamwork in both obedience and agility.

8) Above all, have fun and enjoy every minute of the time I spend with my dog and my dog friends, staying positive and open to learning and throwing all negative thoughts in the trash.

Have fun making a few goals for you and your dogs for the new year. Just think of the potential this year holds!

Today, I am thankful for warm socks!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad (and jealous) that you get to go to the National this year. I attended my first Malamute National in October - and I'm hopelessly hooked. There's nothing like spending a week full of people who DON'T say, "Oh, a Husky!" and for you, a week full of people who DON'T say, "Oh, a Shepherd!" Unfortunately, our rotation is every 6 years, so I have a long time until there's another one in my region.

    My Show Handling instructor breeds Malinois. They're incredible dogs - but I'm one of those people who they're not right for. At this time, anyway.

    I love teaching tricks too - it works their mind (and ours) under the false pretense of play. Maybe that's where they got the term "trick" from, we're tricking the dogs?

    Your goals sound great - hope you accomplish everything you try for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended a Bridget Carlsen seminar Dec. 2009. When you see Hemi's drive, animation, and work ethic, your hair will stand on end. Not only does she excel in training but she's a phenomenal teacher. She has great people skills. I can't wait to attend her next seminar in June 2010. You will learn a lot and have a great time. It's money well spent.

    ReplyDelete