Monday, January 25, 2010

Good Maligator!

Phoenix won the ICDOC Highest Scoring Dog of the Year award at our club banquet Saturday night. I’m very proud of my skinny little dog. He joins his brothers Jamie and Connor in having his name and score (199) engraved on the trophy.

I know it’s just a chunk of wood and metal that doesn’t have any real value but what it represents is priceless. It's part of our journey, reflecting all the hours of training, joy, frustration, success, disappointments, problem-solving, trainwrecks, teamwork and totally awesome WE DID IT moments. It’s fun to look at the names of my previous dogs on there and also to see the names of my friends who I have trained and shown and laughed with for years. I value them like family and in fact, the darn trophy is kind of like a family heirloom among the obedience folks in the club.

Plus the trophy itself looks super cool now since Joe L. refinished it and got rid of 20 years of scuffs and scratches. The finish is really pretty. Now the pressure is on - I have to return it in the same condition for next year’s winner!


Phoenix: I would rather have a big fat bone. Really.

The Farmer and I bought a treadmill this weekend, too, which is very exciting. I’ve wanted one for years and finally decided to just do it. Plus, if I ever needed incentive to get regular exercise in the winter, this weekend was it: I ate at Texas Road House Friday night, Taco John’s Saturday at noon, Brown Bottle Saturday night and Micky D’s Sunday noon. Moo-moo, buckaroo! Honestly, I do NOT eat like that on a regular basis but still there are days when I feel like I’ve developing my own gravitational pull.

I want to teach Phoenix to walk on it, as well. Several friends of mine have successfully taught their dogs to use their treadmills so I need to pick their brains. It would be great to be able to have him burn off some of that energy that builds up on icy winter days. Of course, all I’ll probably be doing is building endurance so he can be even crazier.

Today I am thankful to have garlic chicken and linguine leftovers from Saturday night's supper for today's lunch. See, here I go again.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and Phoenix on the award. Some dogs are really easy to teach to use the treadmill, some not so easy. Broddie, my obedience dog, thinks treadmills are evil even though I introduced it very slowly with lots of treats. Of course, he has a real phobia with elevators too. My other two dogs love the treadmill and ask to get on it by by sitting by it and barking at you to turn it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! That's fantastic!! And even more special that three of your boys have achieved it.

    ReplyDelete