X-rays last night were negative for a foreign body and did not show any visible tumors. They did show a lot of gas distending his stomach and intestines, which indicates a very upset and out of whack digestive system.
He's gone 48 hours now since vomiting blood/having bloody diarrhea. Small victory. Apparently x-rays were a very stressful process, more diarrhea ensued in the clinic. Someone else got to clean it up this time.
Jamie will be on IV fluids and antibiotics for 12-24 hours. Dr. Berger is wondering if a raging bacterial infection might be responsible for everything. He wants to see what heavy duty antibiotic treatment will do
first (will it stop the vomiting/diarrhea?), re-do bloodwork and then we'll decide what to do next.
We did not do the ultrasound as originally planned last night. Dr. Berger did not feel it would give very accurate information, due to the large amount of gas distention in Jamie's gut. He also did not feel it would be helpful for showing an ulcer or indicators of stomach cancer. He thought an endoscopy would be a more accurate approach and one that we may take in the next day or so.
It's been an odd experience, to go to this clinic expecting XYZ to happen, then doing something entirely different. My head is spinning and I'm sure Jamie's is, too. The clinic will call me this morning with an update, then I'll go see him. I have a class with Phoenix in Iowa City this afternoon anyway, so can visit Jamie, go to class, then go back to the clinic to meet with Dr. Berger, since he is the "evening shift" doctor. This clinic is staffed 24/7, which is great.
Will post again when I know more. Thanks, everyone, for your e-mails and phone calls.