Thursday, January 13, 2011

Answers - sort of

The vet just called. Jamie came through the endoscopy fine and is in recovery.

The lining of his stomach, small intestine and colon are all raw and instead of being a smooth mucosal lining, the vet said they looked like "small rough cobblestones." They bled easily and excessively when the biopsies were taken. She said she saw "nothing that looked normal" in his entire digestive tract.

The biopsies will go to the vet school at Iowa State University but it will probably take about a week to get results back.

The vet was hesitant to commit to a diagnosis at this point but she said inflammatory bowel disease or cancer were two very distinct possibilities. I'm sure she didn't want to say more because it can be really hard to diagnose something by just looking at it and she didn't want to give me either false hopes or super bad news that might end up not being accurate.

Jamie's bloodwork remains totally normal. I meant to ask her if his bloodwork wouldn't show something out of whack if he had cancer but forgot. Will ask when I pick him up later this evening.

Until we get a more specific diagnosis (per the biopsies) he'll go back on megadoses of antibiotic and meds to coat and sooth the stomach.

I am so glad they finally found something. Having so many test results come back normal while my dog gave every indication he was NOT normal did not help any of us.

Waiting for the biopsy results will be hell but at least we have something to pursue now and I can get answers. It doesn't matter whether they will be answers I will like or not. They will be answers that help me make decisions and give Jamie the best care I can.

14 comments:

  1. Prayer for you and Jaime, Melinda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The golden boys are keeping their paws crossed for good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just caught up with the news...Sending positive thoughts your way for you and Jamie, and hoping for the best outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it would be hard to beleive that his whole digestive tract had cancer. So I hope its the other. Keeping you guys in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be thinking of you as you wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloodwork does not typically show distinct signs of cancer. We'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to see all you are going through and the prep for the endoscopy sounds like it is a terrible ordeal to go through. Of course I don't know you but following and loving your blog with your dogs adventures I feel like I do. I will continue to keep Jamie in our thoughts and hope things turn out ok. It's so hard not to know what is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about and Jamie and hoping you get some answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Progress of a sort. Hoping you get some good news soon.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots and lots of vibes on the way and hugs for you and Jamie. {{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear things keep going badly. My"granddog" has inflammatory bowel disease and many allergies. It took forever to get that diagnosed and straightened out. You seem to be on the right track. I will send Sammy smiles your way and think positive thoughts for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been right where you are, Melinda. It was Yanni, and we went through this in 2002 - he was 10 yrs old. My prayers continue for Jamie, as well as for you and the Farmer.
    As for exploratory surgery, if I had it to do over again, I would not . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thoughts and prayers, nothing worse than when our furkids are sick and we don't know why. Nor can we explain to them all that goes with that........

    ReplyDelete