Saturday, August 21, 2010

Preachin' to the choir

Who knew so many of you felt the same way about bra shopping?!

What a relief to know that I'm not the only woman at obedience and agility trials running around in a worn, tattered, gnawed bra that may have been a tug toy at some point, because we all A) HATE shopping for the darn things B) HATE paying good money for something that's rarely seen and C) HATE trying to find a new style because our old favorites have been clearanced out.

Amen, sister!

In other news, I spent yesterday helping my aunt clean out her house. Another house purge! She's downsizing and wanted me to have some things. I came home with boxes of Depression glass and antique kitchenware, all with a story - like the beautiful cream-colored china plates with a floral pattern my grandmother bought at the "dime store" because the (grain) threshing crew was coming and she wanted the men to have "big" plates to eat from. And the many, many, many Depression glass cups, bowls and saucers that came free in bags of "cereal." I asked if she meant Cheerios or Frosted Flakes. My aunt said, no, oatmeal. They must have eaten a lot of oatmeal. I hope I can remember all the stories.

Oh, one more story. My aunt gave me a small blue salt-glazed crock and said it's what my grandmother used to "color" their margarine in. Huh? I guess when margarine was first "invented" it was pure white and looked like lard. Who wanted to put lard on your biscuits? So when you bought it, you got a little package of orange coloring. You came home and pounded the coloring into the margarine until it turned yellow and looked like butter. Who knew?

(Phoenix just brought me a flip-flop. I have no idea why.)

Soon I'm off to Wally-world (is that the 2010 version of going to the dime store during the 1930s?) to get mulch for all the places in my flowerbeds I've torn up when transplanting things. The transplanting is going well, although I haven't ventured into the "telephone cable bed of doom" yet. 

Then cleaning out the van and getting ready for tomorrow, when Phoenix and I are going to the open dog show at the Iowa State Fair. It's really just a glorified fun match but how often can you get funnel cakes, cotton candy, corn dogs and all that wonderful stuff at a match!

(And here's the other flip-flop. What a good boy.)

2 comments:

  1. FYI: the butter lobby got laws passed forbidding lard/margarine from being yellow (so no one would possibly be fooled into thinking that it was really butter... I guess). And that's the reason for the coloring package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when I was a young girl, one of my jobs was to squeeze the margarine bags to pop the little capsule of coloring and distribute it through the white margarine!

    ReplyDelete