Sunday, August 22, 2010

Iowa State Fair

Phoenix and I went to the open show at the Iowa State Fair today. It was held in the show pavilion, which looks like this:

This is where they hold all the cattle shows at the state fair. Did I mention it was air conditioned? Awesome! I was pretty much the first person there. Imagine that. That's Earl and Shirlee at the table. They were the second and third people there. They were in charge, helped by a lot of members of the Des Moines OTC.

Phoenix actually did better in his Utility run than he did in Open. He found his go-out spot although he was a little tentative. We need to do about 10,000 more go-outs in different places to build that confidence. Directed jumping was solid. His articles and gloves were lovely, the moving stand for exam was great (the stand and exam were great, the return, well, not so much) and the flies got the better of him on signals. Apparently it's not possible to do signals if you have a fly on your paw. The farm dog has never seen a fly before.

Our Open run was just OK. We were both a little hot and grumpy by then and I had a chance to work through a couple of heeling and attitude things. The 4-H dog show was going on in the same arena and getting into the ring was a little hairy since 4-H kids are not known for paying attention to their dogs (not all of them, just the ones whose dogs want to eat/party with a malinois). So it was a lot like a real trial in that respect.

Renee and her husband Steve came all the way from KC for the dog show. When we were done, we all walked around and looked at a few things. It was too stinkin' hot to really "do" the fair. We gave up after checking out a few exhibit buildings. Did I mention they were not air conditioned? Only in Iowa will you find the livestock exhibition buildings that have AC but "cultural" buildings that don't.

Here's some of the culture, a sand sculpture with the theme "Star Boars." I thought it was hysterical - Obi Wan, Luke, Vader and Chewie as little pigs.


And you can't have Star Boars without Jabba the Hutt. He's piggy enough when he's the authentic version.

The state fair is a photographer's paradise. Unfortunately, today it was a crowded, steaming tropical paradise. Emphasis on tropical. I would have loved to take pictures of the butter cow and the biggest pumpkin (over 1,500 pounds, holy buckets, we have steers that weigh less!) but it was just too dang hot and crowded.


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on being the first one there - hope you got a good parking spot (and that you were able to find your car after!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool sand scluptures. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what is a fair without "hot and steamy"?! LOL Sounds like the open show was an okay success anyway and the sand sculptures - WAY COOL (or was that steamy)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We watched you two a bit at the fair and I must say that watching you and Phoenix heel is just breathtaking....really beautiful!

    The flies were NASTY!!! I was dumb and wore capri pants and now I'm sporting nice bites on my ankles.

    And the heat was just insane. My friend and I walked to the Cultural Center to check out one art booth and I was literally soaked with sweat from the two minute walk. I would have also like to check out more stuff but the heat was just too nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love state fairs! And county fairs, too. At a state fair, one of my rabbits that I bred myself won Best in Show. It was very thrilling!

    Sounds like a very successful time.

    The sand sculptures are hilarious. One time I was on vacation in a beach town and they had a sand sculpture contest, and one of the contestants was a life size replica of the Crucifixion, complete with crown of thorns and blood droplets. Incredibly detailed, but possibly the least beachy idea ever.

    ReplyDelete