Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Make it stop

Could it get any freakin’ hotter?

I mean, we are ABOVE the Mason/Dixon Line, right? “Tropical” is not a word I want to hear used to describe Iowa’s weather but the forecasters around here are using it with reckless abandon.

Tropical heat.

Tropical humidity.

Tropical dew points.

If this doesn’t quit, next thing you know we’ll be having tropical storms blowing across the state.

If I wanted to live in the tropics, I would move there.

Now I want a pina colada. Or a margarita. Sigh.

What really makes me cranky is that this hateful weather is interfering with dog training.

Oh, sure, you can train when it’s hot.

I do.

For about 5 minutes, then I’m done.

I have no idea if the heat bothers Phoenix because I haven’t managed to work him long enough to find out. It bothers me a lot. It’s hard to tell if your dog is in heel position when you have sweat pouring into your eyes and it's like breathing through a wet towel.


Chewing is a grand pastime when it's too hot to play outdoors.
The Belgians take their chewing very seriously.

Don’t the weather gods hear the clock ticking? Five weeks until we show for Nix’s last CDX leg. Five weeks until I have to decide if he’s ready to make the leap into Utility or if we should hang in Open for a while.

I need to train, people!

Okay, if you’re reading this, I’m preaching to the choir. We’re all in the same boat. Unless we have access to a training building with central air, we’re pretty much at the mercy of Mother Nature and she’s been a cranky old bat lately.

I’ve been doing most of my training from about 6 to 6:15 a.m. in the back yard. Not so great for getting to different places or setting up anything very complicated but hey, it’s training that wouldn’t get done otherwise.

We did train at a local park last week. The heat index was 102, a strange lab jumped in my van and some dudes launched a hot air balloon right next to us . . . so that was just weird.

And we’re doing some stuff in the living room, mostly fronts and finishes (the flip is progressing!) and glove turns.

This, too, shall pass. August is traditionally the month when daytime temps start to drop as autumn approaches. Yeah, still waiting for that.

Here’s the sunset from last night. Beautiful. Molten. Like standing on one of the outer rings of Hell.



P.S. The toilet is fixed! I knew you'd want to know that.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... glad to hear about the toilet (at least you now have MORE than one flush!).

    Have you ever thought about glow in the dark obedience equipment? Might be a big money maker!!

    I train for about five minutes and then I'm D.O.N.E. done! Yuck - breathing through a wet towel about sums it up. I'm just glad when the dogs can hear me over the stinkin' cicadas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm big into living room obedience. Not sure what kind of results that has gotten me though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are still at the walking to build up his leg stage, so walking 3 times a day. Some of those times just have to be hot! The cicadas are another issue - we were walking along and one of them came buzzing by and actually bounced off of Coach! It was like one of those troop carriers in a WWII movie. Coach's expression was pretty funny though.

    ReplyDelete