Monday, May 3, 2010

Go, Phoenix, GO!

Phoenix went 2 for 2 and finished his GO (Graduate Open) title over the weekend. This title has been a bit of an adventure. To say judges do not understand the Graduate Open class would be the understatement of the year.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass but seriously, on two of our three legs, I had to coach the judge through our entire run. We did have one judge who understood how things worked but between the two of us, we still screwed up the article exercise. The dog is to be sent while facing the pile. I had Phoenix do the whole formal Utility turn, sit and send. (Hmm, maybe I should have read the regs a little closer, too!) His turns were awful but otherwise he was fine so no harm done.

The judge on our final leg was the clear winner of the “I’m oblivious” award. I knew we were in trouble when he called me into the ring before the class started (I was the only exhibitor who had checked in) and asked, “Now, how does this class work?” Oh dear, the inmate is running the asylum!

I’m not sure why this class is such a mystery to judges. The exhibitors all seemed to have it figured out but it’s hard to move smoothly between exercises when the judge is unsure what the next exercise is, then asks you how to do it. Granted, the current incarnation of Grad Open is relatively new to the scene but it’s not THAT new. If I were on a judging panel that included Grad Open, I could find a few minutes to read through the regulations the night before.

But no. Yesterday’s judge and I had a little mini judging seminar before the class started. Then we had little refresher workshops after each exercise while I explained what happened next. At one point, I was afraid he was going to ask me how to SCORE the exercises!

It’s good to know I am somewhat capable of thinking on my feet, since on the last exercise, a single directed jump, the judge looked at me and said, “Send him over a jump.” Not “Bar” or “High,” just “Send him.” Well, okay. This inmate likes being in charge, although lots of us obedience folks are not used to being allowed to make our own choices in the ring. Since we’d done the bar on Saturday I chose the high, which Phoenix sailed over happily.

In spite of all that, I really did enjoy showing in the class and it showed me what Phoenix understands — and what he doesn’t — about the Utility exercises. He walked away with 3 legs in a row, so the consistency was admirable even though we’re a long way from the finished product I want to take into Utility. Besides, we still have to get a CDX first!

I would recommend showing in Grad Open as a nice transitory step between Open and Utility but make sure you read the regs first. Somebody has to know what’s going on and there’s no guarantee it will be the judge.

3 comments:

  1. WHOOO HOOOO, GO PHOENIX!!!

    I bet he was laughing at the judge, too.

    Last night, Layla brought me 34 magazines, 6 books (including one over 800 pages), a bunch of loose papers, 1 slipper, 3 pens, 1 pill bottle and 1 box of Zyrtec - all in hopes of a bite of my chicken. I'm so, so happy (although it was a little annoying) because hopefully it'll make formal retrieving just a little bit easier. If she can carry around heavy books, she can carry a db.

    I put a picture of Her Stack on my newest post. Such a silly girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good boy Faw-nix!!! Good girl Martha for knowing the rules! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done graduate open yet because I had a similar experience with Graduate Novice. The rules were different every time I showed and one time the judge made the DOR harder than it is open. The judge waited until my dog was only 3 feet in front of me to tell me to drop him. Hardly any time for either one of us to react. Of course I think the judge wasn't really paying attention and just wanted to go home. The judge actually asked me if I really wanted to show as he was running late. I had driven two hours one way and had paid $25 dollars to enter. Yes, I did want to show and really would have liked his full attention when I was in the ring. The other two judges, while unsure of the rules, were at least nice and helpful.

    ReplyDelete