Friday, April 30, 2010

Is this wierd behavior?

Okay, I realize that is probably a loaded question. A better question might be, “On a rising scale of 1 to 10, how weird is this behavior?” This is possibly the only time in my life I might be considered a 10! But only by non-dog people, of course. From a dog person’s point of view, I am absolutely normal.

I just spent some quality time with the AKC Web site, checking trial dates, sites, judges, etc. for places I’d like to show Phoenix the rest of this year. I confirmed all the “standard” trials I always go to and added a few new potential “maybe” trial weekends. In other words, I’ve planned our show schedule for the rest of the year. And it’s still April.

I found so many excellent trials this fall that I even questioned the sanity of entering seven weekends in a row during September and October but decided against it. I did that a few years back with Jamie and learned my lesson. Showing seven weekends in a row is only fun for about the first three weekends, then it’s just dog show hell and you can’t wait for it to be over so you can wake up in your own bed on a Saturday morning and not do anything more complicated that day than make toast. How do those people who trial EVERY weekend do it???

It freaks out the non-dog members of my family (that would be pretty much ALL of my family and the Farmer’s, too) that I know what I’m doing on any given weekend a minimum of six months in advance. Most non-dog people don’t even know what they’re doing this weekend but I can tell you exactly what I’m doing every weekend for the next two months and probably more. I’ve discovered that scares people. Non-dog people, of course. All my dog friends have this same ability to keep a running calendar in their head with trial dates filled in neatly. In ink, of course.

Any “free” weekends quickly fill up with local matches (planned, of course, not to conflict with trial weekends) and plans for lessons or training group get-togethers. I honestly can’t remember the last time I had a weekend “at home” that didn’t involve at least one trip to a training building to meet friends or just work my dogs by myself.

In other words, no, I don’t have any “free” weekends. So don’t get hurt feelings when I don’t come to your baby shower, bridal shower, graduation party, confirmation brunch, anniversary open house, wedding or some other silly thing. I’ll be happy to stick $20 in a card and mail it to you with my best wishes. We’ll both be happier that way, trust me.

Have a great weekend, whatever you’re doing. Phoenix and I are off to the Heart of Iowa shows to play in Graduate Open. Our class won’t start until after noon so no need to get up at the butt crack of dawn for a change. How nice is that!

8 comments:

  1. I'd have to give it a 1.3. I thought everyone did that?

    I know what you mean about non-dog people though. They don't understand how often you train (how much can you really teach a dog?) and especially how far in advance we plan.

    I take it as a big blessing though. I'd take a training session over a baby shower any day. Plus, no matter if you really do have something planned or not (most likely you do) if someone asks you to do something way in advance, you can just say, "Oh, sorry! Dog show!" and they'll believe you because you're always doing "dog stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I'm glad I'm not the only one - I'll give that a 0 - not weird at ALL! I get weird looks from co-workers when I have my whole year planned in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this sounds totally and completely normal to me (as expected). I have a tentative schedule from now until December all penciled in. With quite a few hotel reservations made as well. And you know what's best about being this way? When you work and have to schedule vacation around others, I'm ALWAYS the first to make the request months in advance and get it, because other "non dog people" can't plan more than a week in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could come to Show-Me Canine's debut AKC obedience trial in Columbia, MO the weekend of September 22 . (We have experience with putting on UKC shows, AKC agility and ASCA trials and the kennel clubs obedience trial so things should run smoothly.) It is only a 4 hour drive and I would love to meet you and see Phoenix work. I am hoping to be ready for utility by then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto for me - completely normal. I think it's weird when people DON'T know their plans for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you and the rest of the "dog people" world! Not weird at all! LOL Try to explain it to a boyfriend that doesn't do "dog stuff" and really wants you to spend weekends with him! Hmmmm....wanna come sit at an agility trial for 5, 6, 7 or ? hours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh does this all ever sound familiar! Ask my #1 Biggest-Non-Dog-Person-Complainant: The Husband. lol, who, always asks THE question that annoys the heck out of me: Why do you have to plan so many weekends in advance??????

    I think i'll just point him to this post so that he canrealize that no, i'm not nuts. Or, maybe, it's not just me that's nuts :p

    ReplyDelete