Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Two basic food groups: chocolate & peanut butter

I haven't done a recipe for a while so thought I'd share this one for Crunchy Marshmallow Bars. It combines two of my favorite food groups: chocolate and peanut butter. It also contains Rice Krispies so technically, it could be called a breakfast bar. They're awesome with a big glass of cold milk.


CRUNCHY MARSHMALLOW BARS
1/2 C. margarine
3/4 C. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C. flour
2 T. cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 C. miniature marshmallows
1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 C. peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
2 C. Rice Krispies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 baking pan. Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients together and add to creamed ingredients. Stir until just blended. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with enough miniature marshmallows to cover surface (more is better). Return to oven for 3 minutes. Remove and cool.

Melt together the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Stir in Rice Krispies and spread over top of cooled bars. Cool before cutting.

Okay, you can live on the edge and not cool them before cutting. They're very drippy and gooey and I wouldn't recommend trying to eat one while wearing a white shirt but other than that, if you're an instant gratification kind of person, go for it.

2 comments:

  1. Recipe looks great. I have been wondering what I would fix for the 4-H dog club's concession stand at our agility trial this weekend. Now I have an answer. I will let you know how they go over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I liked this post just by seeing the title. Nancy-I'll be by to give them a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete