Saturday, April 3, 2010

The good news is . . .

. . . Phoenix gave me 40 point heeling in his Open debut today!

The not-so-good-news is he got up half way through the long down and left the ring. Sigh. 

I'm disappointed about him breaking the down but I knew going into today that was our weak exercise. He stuck the long sit (very tense) and did an absolutely lovely job on his individual exercises so all in all, it was a very good start. I'm glad I only entered one day this weekend. 

My goal for this week is to go to different places and work out of sight stays with tons of rewards to build confidence and reduce stress. Phoenix really does NOT like this exercise and can't say that I blame him. Why the AKC, which endlessly pushes an agenda of responsible dog ownership, continues to insist on an obedience exercise that NO ONE in their right mind would do in real life, I have no idea. I mean seriously, would you ever take your dog's leash off and leave him in a strange place with a bunch of dogs he doesn't know, supervised by a total stranger and three high school-aged ring stewards, while you disappear for 8 minutes?

In other news, the Farmer's mom continues to recover after an 8-hour spinal surgery to fuse some collapsed vertebrae earlier this week. She'll transfer out of the hospital soon into a rehab facility for lots of physical and occupational therapy. We've all been rather fruit-basket-upset lately, trying to get to the hospital to spend time with her. 

The Farmer, the Farmer's Dad and the Farmer's Brother have started spring field work, which is actually the fall field work they didn't get done last fall because the day after they finished the corn harvest, it snowed.

This means it's 8 p.m. and we haven't had supper yet. I love this time of year. I really do!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah on the heeling!!! Phoenix does not approve of out of sight stays - I'm with him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Great heeling, Phoenix!! That's fantastic. So when can I drop Layla off for a heeling boot camp? I'll pay in Brach's Easter Chicks & Bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly agrees with the out of sight stays!! What a waste of 8 perfectly good minutes when you could be EATING!!! Figuring his all out will make you a better trainer!! HONEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sorry about the Down! but WOW 40pt heeling! very cool! Promise and I are cheering you both on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish Jazz could do the stays for Phoenix and you two could do heeling for us! I think maybe the heeling is more useful in the long run. Jazz will stay for hours and just look around like he's waiting for a bus. Our only problem is he occasionally forgets himself and lays down. You tell Phoenix that I think he is very talented and just too smart to stay with nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete