Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A good night's sleep, NOT!

11:15 p.m. Lightning flashes and thunder rumbles.

Jamie: Oooooh, this is not good. Not good at all.

Me: Go back to sleep, it’s just a little thunderstorm.

Jamie: Noooooo, it’s Armageddon.

Me: It is NOT Armageddon. You’re fine.

Jamie: Not fine. Terrible. Horrible. Awful.

Me: All right, you can come up on the bed. But you have to stay at the foot. It’s hot.

Jamie (launching onto bed): Okay, not quite as terrible.

Phoenix: Me, too?

Me: No. You are not a storm freak. Stay on the floor. It’s too warm for dogs on the bed.

Phoenix: You let that big furry thing up there.

Me: He’s having a meltdown. This makes him feel better.

Phoenix: Can I have a meltdown?

Me: No. You are FINE. Go to sleep.

Lightning crashes and thunder rolls.

Jamie: Ooooooh, it’s terrible, horrible, awful.

Me: It’s just a little t-storm, nothing severe. No watches. No warnings.

Jamie (crawls half way up the bed): Doesn’t matter. Hate storms. Scary.

Phoenix: I should sleep on the bed, too.

Me: You’re fine on the floor. Be still.

Phoenix: %$#@!

Jamie: Maybe we should go to the basement.

Me: We are NOT going to the basement.

Jamie: %$#@!

Phoenix (leaping onto the bed): Here I come! Whee!

Me: Ooooooof! Get off my stomach. All right, lie down and be still. You can stay.

Phoenix (licking my face): I love you! I love you! I love you!

More lightning and thunder; rain is falling heavily.

Jamie crawls the rest of the way up between me and the Farmer, heaves a big sigh and puts his head down.

Farmer: Does that dog want his own pillow?

Me: I think he wants you to leave so he can have your spot.

Farmer: %$#@!

4 comments:

  1. Poor Jamie... I think we all slept through the storms here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, poor Jamie. Lucy was even more frantic than usual because her safe places are off limits right now. She isn't supposed to do stairs, so no going to the basement. And the room we've set up so she can't jump on anything doesn't have a bed to crawl under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might try giving Jamie 3 mg of melatonin whenever storms are likely. It really helps my storm phobic border collie. DAP spray has also been effective but it is costs lots more than melatonin and does not seem to work as long. The key to both is dosing before the storm/lightening hits. Before I discovered melatonin and DAP spray I had lots of sleepless nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazz has been doing much better, but last night was bad for some reason. I hate the part where he not only gets on the bed, but manages to lay down so his tail (and other unpleasant parts) is right in my face. Some nights I'd rather be out in the rain!

    ReplyDelete