Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A study in blue

Blue is my favorite color. Royal blue, navy blue, sky blue, cornflower blue, denim blue, teal blue, whatever. Blue is definitely my team color. So it's little wonder I have lots of blue flowers in my gardens. Here are a few of them.

This is Siberian squill. It blooms early in the spring. A word of caution, if you plant Siberian squill, you will never get rid of it. Never. Ever. This is a small portion of a patch I thought I'd "dug out" the previous fall. So much for that. (Did you know if you double click the pics in this blog, they blow up to full screen size? It took me a long time to figure that out. But they do. Now you know.)


I have no idea what kind of flowers these are. They are a perennial I bought cheap last spring and stuck in an empty spot. The little clump tripled in size this spring and bloomed throughout May and are still blooming now. If anyone can tell me what they are, I would appreciate it. Everything needs a name!


This is perennial salvia. They are gorgeous and very hardy. They bloom May through June. The only drawback is they attract bumblebees. Lots of bumblebees. I'm thinking they should attract hummingbirds, too, but maybe the bumblebees have scared them off. I know they scare me.



These are my very favorite bearded iris. They are just plain gorgeous. That's the newspaper office in the background. It is not so gorgeous.

2 comments:

  1. I know what they are called but if I tell you then that spoils all the fun. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure are PURDY!!! They would look even better in ORANGE!!! G

    ReplyDelete