Monday, June 1, 2009

Ames agility

The Ames agility weekend was as much fun as ever. Great friends, excellent weather and of course, FOOD! The only bummer was Rilda the Deer Slayer reducing the Linn County deer population Saturday morning. Thank goodness she wasn't hurt, her car is drivable and looks really cool and redneck with the bumper held on with duct tape. Three cheers for Mike taking her tire to get fixed. Wonder if Sophie and Ryelee have chewed the deer fur off the rim yet.

Phoenix and I came home empty handed when it came to ribbons but I am really proud of my wild dog for the way he ran. And the way I ran, too! Probably my biggest overall goal with Phoenix in agility is to change my running style from "spectating" to having my dog chase me around the course at top speed. I got into the habit of being a "spectating" handler with Jamie, who had one speed, a pleasant lope, and I had all the time in the world to watch him as he ran.

Not so much with Phoenix. He loves to chase - meaning I need to be ahead of him - and I'm learning a totally new approach to handling. Some days it comes easier than others. Of course, this means I need to burn a calorie and RUN! (If I didn't have a heart condition BEFORE getting this dog, I'd certainly have one by now.)

Speaking of calories, thanks to Liz for making pancakes for breakfast Sunday morning, Marsha for bringing cinnamon bread and Marsha's parents for bringing cookies and to die for cinnamon rolls. Plus we had orange birthday cake to celebrate Jamie, Sydney, Ryelee, Simon, Breeze and Nina (in memoriam) who all turn 10 this year. Our "1999 models" rock. Not to mention delicious barbecue at Hickory Park Saturday night and DQ for humans and dogs on the trip home. The diet starts to day. Really.

Saturday after supper, I got to tour Wendy and John's "new" house north of Ames. It was built around 1880 and it a wonderfully cool place they have put a ton of work into.

Camping Saturday night was slightly less than ideal. The weather was super but as the Farmer pointed out the one and only time he camped with me there, "It's too d*mn loud." Yeah. He had a point. And there weren't even any severe t-storms this year. Between the sirens, trains, traffic, fireworks, trains, Odyssey of the Mind kids coming back from their closing ceremonies and did I mention trains, it was not a great night for sleeping.

Phoenix gets today off from training. We have a busy week ahead: agility class Wednesday night, obedience workout Thursday night and agility lessons with Michelle Persian on Friday morning.

I should probably go eat some leftover cake to make sure I have enough energy for all this.

3 comments:

  1. Left over cake!! WHAT!! You were holding out yesterday!! G The fire works were loud...but they sure were PURDY!! I wonder if Natalie will be a 'pocket protector kid' someday??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leftovers???? Where were they hiding. Not that I needed anything else after the 1 (okay, maybe 15 snickerdoodles), the dessert bars, the rolls, - heck, no wonder I feel like I'm pulling a plow when I'm trying to run. I really need some 'MIND FOOD" for remembering courses. It was fun. Thanks to everyone for helping me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh!!! I never even SAW the cake!!! Happy Birthday kids!!

    ReplyDelete