Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Jamie the healer

Jamie is the "healer dog" at our house. If you have an owie of any kind, he will sniff it out and try to lick it. Sometimes this is appreciated. Other times, not so much. Several years ago, I had some extensive dental work done and it didn't go so well. Jamie nearly drove me crazy, trying to lick my face all the time. As it turned out, the particular spot he was focussed corresponded to a place in my jaw that was not healing properly.

When I had a corneal ulcer, he was constantly trying to sniff my eye and he is also very concerned about ears and noses (a serious job in a house full of people with allergies.) I think I could take him to the U of I Hospitals and find him full-time employment.

Lately, he has transferred these diagnostic and healing skills to Phoenix. My apologies for the pictures. They are not shining examples of photography. Actually, they are examples of late afternoon sun shining through the west kitchen window.

Phoenix tore up the "bumper pad" on one leg playing chase games with Katie over the weekend. Yes, Jen, your 12 pound (?) sheltie girl injured the big, tough malinois. Phoenix is not very bothered by it but Jamie thinks it needs attention. Phoenix has kind of "Whatever, dude" approach to all this nursing.

"You have an owie. Let me see it."


"Lie still so I can clean your foot. Here, I will hold you down."


"Kid, you are a mess. What have you done to your hind foot? I will clean it, too."

2 comments:

  1. Now THAT is too stinkin' cute for words!! I could have used that dog when my puppy was using ME for a chew toy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say how much i enjoy reading your adventures. I have a 1/2 Malinois 1/2 German Shepherd, and I can really relate to a lot of your stories (Especially the one about training in the park with all the distractions). Thank you for the laughter that you give me!

    ReplyDelete