Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Random thoughts

For the love of Pete, will someone please tell me to heel with my left arm up or with my left arm down and be done with it already? I keep bouncing back and forth between the two styles and I honestly cannot decide which one is the best. I always heeled with my left arm up for Connor and Jamie and now it automatically goes there of its own accord. Point me at a ring gate and the left arm snaps to attention “centered in the vicinity of the handler’s waist.”

I think Phoenix’s heel position is better if I keep it down at my side but darned if I can keep it swinging naturally and end up looking like someone shot a full body-bind curse at me but only hit my left arm. Plus Phoenix still thinks heeling is some kind of race and he will win if he keeps his head ahead of my hand and starts to curve around my left leg. I think this style of heeling is perfectly acceptable in the UK. Clearly, I need to move. Or train more. Moving might be easier.

If you’re reading this and you’re into obedience and you have any thoughts on the matter, please post a comment or e-mail me at tervnmal@iowatelecom.net. This is making me insane. Insaner. More insane.
*****
Black dogs are absolutely stunning. I watched a number of black dogs at the trial last weekend and they were beautiful. Yes, I know they’re a photographer’s nightmare. I don’t care. I want another black dog someday.
*****
Don’t miss the Perseid meteor shower tomorrow morning! The waning full moon may present a bit of a viewing problem but the peak should occur in the hours before sunrise Aug. 12 with up to 60 meteors per hour. I didn’t go out last year since the cloud cover was too thick to see anything. Fingers crossed for clear skies this year. Last October I took the dogs out to watch the Draconids. They weren’t very exciting (the meteor shower, not the dogs. The dogs thought going outside to sit in a cornfield at 4 a.m. was incredibly exciting.)
*****
I just ordered a second custom-made Invince-A-Bell, exactly the same measurements as the first one, which is perfect. This way, I figure I will NEVER lose the first one. But if I didn’t have a back-up, the first one would probably be gone by Halloween.
*****
Now I have TWO sit boxes. The Farmer made me one, then Earl W. made me one and brought it to the Ft. Dodge show. He must have felt sorry for me when he saw how much Wiggle Butt moves on his sit/stay. It’s a good thing, too, because I’ve already gone and left the first one at SueAnn’s building after class. See why I ordered the second dumbbell?

7 comments:

  1. Might I suggest the usage of some double sided tape? Okay....maybe some isn't clear enough? A couple rolls, or maybe even a case??? This will be used on ALL 4 fingers (we'll leave your thumb alone), you can adhere your fingers to your thigh. It might look like you're testing the length of your "Catholic" skirt, but at least your hand will be at your side. I think that looks more natural anyway. Those that heel with the left hand up always look like they are trying not to vomit. Which in the ring, might be exactly what they are trying NOT to do. Can a person be excused for fouling the ring? The other roll will be used on Nix's front feet and butt. I'll leave it up to you as to where the butt placement should be. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should just use the double-sided tape to stick Phoenix to my leg. That could fix our heeling problems . . . or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A longtime Belgian competitor around here(Al Breece) always said your left hand down and swinging "claimed" the air space you owned between your leg and your dog. If the head started to curl inward your left arm just swung a little higher and harder.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me but I've been reading your blog for a while. Don't worry, I'm not a stalker. You have such personality in your writing. I crack up with your sense of humor. I also love your friend's comments too. You could write a book and it would sell. I have two pugs that I compete with in AKC obedience. For your survey, I heel with my arm down at my side. It doesn't get in the way of my pug's head. Here's my blog. It lacks your sense of humor.
    http://thepugboys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... instead of double sided tape, how about amputation? Solve your problems with one little surgery! Ya gotta be a problem solver!

    OTOH... I think you should have your own personal stalker :-) It will take your mind right off that left arm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazz and I are such a train wreck when heeling that I thought I would try the arm down thing. After all - if Melinda says it's a good thing - it must be! I think I smacked Jazz right in the face about five times - those would be the times he was actually in the correct place. Sigh. I will continue clutching my gut and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think using orange duct tape around your arm (down of course) and your whole body might be the answer. The judge would not be looking at Phoenix, thus-no deductions. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete