Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ice cream therapy

Yesterday, Phoenix and I went to visit my dad. I'm trying to get down there at least once a week. It's such a long trip but I know he won't be around forever and I need to give Mom as much support as I can. The hospice staff is really great about caring for Dad and I don't think he's in any pain but it's still really hard to see him the way he is now, basically immobile and uncommunicative. He doesn't smile any more. Phoenix remembered what his "job" was and leaped up on the bed and made himself at home. Dad doesn't have much motor control so his movements are really convulsive and jerky. I know he knew Phoenix was there and enjoyed being able to touch him.

It was an emotionally draining day. On the way home, we stopped for ice cream at this little dairy mart just off Highway 218. I decided Phoenix deserved his own cone so ordered a baby cone for him and a small cone for me. The girl handed me mine, chocolate, of course. It was just the right size, not too much, not too little. Then she handed me Phoenix's  vanilla baby cone. It was exactly the same size as my small! 

Thank goodness that crazy dog has a cast iron gut and no lactose intolerance. I let him eat the whole thing, which he loved. I figured he deserved it; it was a tough day for both of us.

Oh, a fun thing while visiting my folks: there is a huge lake near the hospice house. It has a wonderful paved trail all the way around, about one mile long. Mom, Karene, Phoenix and I went for a walk mid-morning. At one place along the trail, you can buy food from a vending machine to toss to the fish. Mom was armed with stale bread (no need to buy fish kibble). At first, all I could see were a bunch of little bluegills swimming around. Then the catfish started coming up. Holy buckets! Those were some big cats! They must have imported them right out of the Mississippi River (which is pretty close). Even Phoenix got excited when he saw all the splashing in the water. I think one of those catfish could have had him for lunch.

This morning, 'Nix and I had a lovely workout with Michele and Cider at the 4RK9s building. He got to play with Cider and Bea afterwards. This always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling because Phoenix is NOT what you would call "dog park" material. But he loves the Lab girls and was totally in his element playing tug and chasing balls. When we came home, he crashed and I stripped out C3P0, vacuumed and detailed the interior and am washing all the crate blankets. It will be great to have a clean van for the trip to Glen Carbon in a few days. Wish it would stay that way longer!

I think there are some ice cream bars in the freezer. It may be time for more therapy . . .

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Phoenix is enjoying his job - and ice cream therapy is perfect! Now - where are photos of the freshly cleaned car????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some therapy too!!! Alas....no ice cream in the freezer. I'm starting to feel sorry for myself! What a wonderful day for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this you have me convinced that maybe I need some ice cream therapy too. I have neopolitan in the freezer - Chocolate for me, vanilla for Soph and Ryelee and we split the strawberry. Hope I have a clean spoon!!! You should have turned Phoenix loose on those catfish, it could have been supper.

    ReplyDelete