Sunday, October 31, 2010

Stick a fork in us . . . we're done

Phoenix, Jamie and I just got home from our last obedience trial of the year. Yeah, there are a couple of other "local" trials we could still enter but at this point, I think our time and money will be better spent buckling down and training.

This weekend capped a wonderful, wild, surprising, disappointing, enlightening, joyful string of autumn obedience trials. Phoenix Q'd in Open B both days and did his stays without looking like a stressball. He made some good choices in the ring. He made some naughty choices in the ring. He tried hard on some things. He didn't try very hard at all on others. 

We had fun at the matches and had lots of laughs sitting ringside. The costume parade on Saturday was hysterical. I wonder how many of the dogs got even with their handlers today?

The club even offered a Highest Scoring Malinois prize and we won it! Okay, we were the only malinois there but still, that's not a prize you see offered at every show.

I'm not sure when we'll go back into the obedience ring. My goal is to be ready for Utility in the spring but right now I'm not sure how I'm defining "spring." 

Happy Halloween!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the highest scoring Mal award!
    Sounds like you have a solid plan for the winter and had an informative and entertaining weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have finally stopped pretending either dog might be ready to go in the ring yet this fall. Coach is marginal and I will wait until spring when he should be very solid. Jazz is just not able to jump. Obedience would be fine for him except he cannot jump 26". He might make 16" but not 26. I sure wish there was a veterans obedience class with lower jumps! For once in my short dog training career, I will be smart and train for the spring. I wish you and Phoenix happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, when I say I plan to have a dog ready for "spring" or "fall" I am very careful not to declare which year.................;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great seeing you guys at the trial. I just LOVE watching you and Phoenix in the ring. I wish that Falkor could learn just by watching you two. LOL

    ReplyDelete